TURTLE

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Have a 50-year-old (?) natural gas wall heater in my apartment. Thermostat is
connected to gas valve in heater by 2 wires. No evidence of transformer or
low voltage (ie, 30 vac) on the wires.

Symptom is that the 'stat won't open the valve. If I short the terminals for
just a second, the valve opens, and shuts at the appropriate temperature. (I
since have read that it's not a good idea to short those terminals together;
it could damage the valve, or some other component.)

What replacement thermostat should I be looking for? All I see are multi-wire
types that require a transformer voltage. Will any mercury-bulb type work?
(That's what the old one was.)

I'm also curious where the voltage comes from to operate the valve. Is this
generated by the thermocouple / sensor next to the pilot flame?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

This is Turtle.

You have a break in the wires to or from the heater to thermostat or a bad
thermostat. Your going to have to trouble shoot it out.

TURTLE