Inspector D

Jeff Cochran wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:58:08 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

LinuxSaves wrote:

I've had an ongoing problem with roots in the pipe that drains both
bathrooms. (I practically OWN Roto-Rooter now.) I have a couple
questions:
I've done the copper sulfate thing, which is supposed to kill roots,
but I never seem to get really good results from that. Is there a trick
to it? I always let it sit for a number of hours, usually overnight. Is
there something else that works better? Other than having it snaked!!

I've heard of a method that, instead of replacing the original pipe,
slips a new, smaller diameter pipe inside the original, at much less
cost than tearing out and replacing the whole thing. But how does
this compare in terms of price, inconvenience (i.e., tearing up the
foundation?), and reliability? I just remodeled the bathrooms about
three years ago, including the installation of very expensive ceramic
tile floors. I dread the thought of seeing that destroyed, but I
suppose there's no way around it.

Any suggestions are welcome; I'd much prefer NOT tearing up the house
to repair/replace the pipe but, as I said, I'm not having much luck
controlling the roots that are causing the blockages.

Thanks!

Hold on there a minute. Are you saying the roots are under the house?
Normally they don't need to go under a home to replace the problem parts of
the sewer.

Must not live near ficus trees...

This is done al the time, though possibly not a DIY project. A slab
foundation can be dug under, or jackhammered in a specific area if
need be and replaced.

The sleeves aren't cheap around here, it's usually less expensive to
replace the pipe than sleeve, though your local costs may vary.

Jeff

Trenchless sewer replacement is workable if the cost of a conventional
replacement is prohibitive due to existing "hardscape" or landscaping
replacement. If this is not the case, just replace the line from the
house to the street with ABS or whatever is used in your area. Don't
forget to add a "two-way" cleanout fitting near the house.