N. Thornton

Default Spalling

From: Mary Fisher )

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a few bricks on the front of the round bay window near the

ground
and below the dpc. We haven't worried about it and we don't notice

it. Few
others could see it because of the planting (not touching the wall).

But in the light of what you said I wonder if it would be useful to

re-face
the bricks with (exactly matching) resin-based mastic?

Thats where it usually happens, due to damp freezing in the bricks.
Resin makes that dampness worse by preventing evaporation from the
bricks.

I've never tried refacing bricks, but have only ever heard one thing:
it doesnt last.

I'd check the ground levels relative to the dpc, ground should be 6"
below it, and if the damage isnt bad enough to affect structural
strength, leave it. Or if theyre bad, or an eyesore, replace em.

Cement pointing on old properties is a cause of this: lime pointing
allows more water movement and evaporation, cement prevents it
somewhat. Also old houses tend to move a bit, cement wont move at all,
and is stronger than the brick, so the bricks get damaged. Lime is
soft enough not not cause damage, and the lime will crack rather than
the brick, which is much preferable. Lime cracks are self healing, it
slowly grows hard crystals across the crack by reacting with CO2.

NT