Mark D. Zacharias

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
news:u4Otd.319$vC.41@lakeread06...

"news-proxy.pgb.philips.com" martin@nowhere wrote in message
Most systems will spin the disc then focus (this certainly applies to all
Philips units - in fact I've never seen a system that does otherwise).

Actually, I was working on a Marantz (Philips made) today for a power
supply
problem and I am pretty sure that it focuses first then spins the disc
like
most of the other players that we work on. I think Mark is right on this
one (as he usually is).

Leonard

Philips may have some exceptions. I was over-generalizing. Older players
often have separate disc sensors, and many carousel changers do as well.
The majority of single disc players, including CD-ROM drives, simply use the
focus routine to detect the disc.

Mark Z.