Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"wave" wave@waving wrote in message ...
| Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do
true
| variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
| attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,
they
| make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able
| determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
| archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would
have
| thought would be a common question.

I have one of these and AFAIK only Panasonic is using it. 'Genius' is their
trademark, inverter technology is not. It's a very powerful switchmode power
supply that varies the input power to the microwave. BTW, don't buy the
convection version - they are a swine to keep clean.

All other makes I know of cycle power to control cooking which does not work
as well for some items (oatmeal for one).

The sample I have drives both the magnetron high voltage and filament
from the same transformer. I would think this is hard on the magnetron
at moderate power where the filament isn't as hot as it should be but
perhaps it's not a big issue.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.