SteveB

"Ronnie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to build a 5' wide by 8' long ATV trailer. I priced a new axle
through the local trailer axle place and it's $350.00 for a 2000 lbs
rolling axle with no brakes, 14" tires and wheels and two bare
fenders...holy batcakes ****man!

I know there's gotta be something out there in the auto boneyard that
would have a leaf spring type axle that could be harvested cheaper than
that...problem is I'm not to sure what it would be.

I'm hoping someone out there has just the idea I need to kick off my
next project. Thanks and Happy Holidays !

Ronnie

Okay, Okay. I know this is a metalworking newsgroup, but ..........

Lemme tell you two stories ............

I needed a truck rack. I didn't have any welding equipment at the time,
only 25 years experience in welding. I went to a friend who has a trailer
sales place in search of a trailer for my ATV. I asked him if he happened
to have a truck rack. He said yes, and directed me to a corner of the yard
full of junk. There was a nicely made truck rack made out of 1x2" tube with
angle iron mounts. It fit my truck perfectly except for rounding the
corners 1/4". I woulda gave him $100 for it, and he said he would take $40.
I said, "Ummmmm....errrrrr ........... well, Okay."

Now I needed a trailer. He had a NICE one for $1200. I said I would think
about it. Within three days, I found a NICE one for $300. It wasn't new,
but it was sturdy, and I still have it.

I know you can build stuff, but sometimes, you have to add up all the time
you will spend, and all the materials, and decide if it is not cheaper,
sometimes MUCH cheaper just to buy one already to go.

Some DMVs can be a pain in the neck to title a homemade trailer. Others not
so bad. Don't know about your state.

Just some things to consider.

I currently am going to alter my trailer, because I KNOW I can do it cheaper
and better than a shop. You may have to do that. Buy a trailer that's
already together, then modify it for your use. For the money you save, you
can put a box on it, and all sorts of goodies.

I have welded for thirty years now, and I wouldn't even CONSIDER making my
own trailer. My time is worth more than that. Why spend several days
making a trailer when I can make up to $600 a day doing something else?

STeve