George

wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:10:06 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

Seriously, whenever you have a tool that can learn, come back and talk to

me
about its "skill," a learning/learned phenomenon. And self-adjusting is
_not_ learning, because it has preset limits.

You're using a more narrow definition of 'skill'. I'm using it in the
sense of 'ability to achieve a given result'.

What's happening is that the 'skill' is designed into the machine.
It's not something it 'learns.' (Of course that also means that the
machine is limited in what it can do, but that's another issue.)

Maybe we should send them to a "skill center" (voc ed facility) to pick some
up?

Guess not, until they could actually learn one.

I'll stick with AHD on this.
skill (skšl) n. 1. Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or
developed through training or experience.