nog

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:08:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
nog wrote:
The electro-mechanical switch that controls our heating has become
unreliable so it's time to fit a replacement. Which of the electronic
alternatives would be a good choice? Would like the usual features -
separate timings for each day of the week, ability to separately control
h/w & heating, override, etc.

I'd get a basic one that allows off, once, twice and continuous. And
replace (or fit) a programmable room thermostat. That allows the
temperature to be set for different values throughout the days over a 7
day period.

If you don't already have a room stat somewhere and decide to fit one
you'll have to remove or disable any TRVs in that room.

The two units should cost under 100 quid.

While I would like to move towards a more sophisticated system, we have an
old - and very crude - heating system, piped through ½in steel tube. This
means that even TRVs aren't an easily available option, let alone any form
of zone control.
The previous owner was in the habit of turning the heating on and off at
the non-functioning Sangamo time clock but we introduced the now-dying time
switch (which had been in my possession as a retired spare).
I just need to keep the present system functioning uintil we can afford to
replace it with a more effective alternative.