John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Presumably you'd still need to be able to switch hot water and heating on
or off? So I think you'd end up with a basic programmer to do this anyway
- unless you made something up.

Good point... I was forgetting about the HW side of things. (in my case
I changed from that type of programmer on my stored water system, to
having just the programmable stat, but on a combi system)

Even with a programmable thermostat I still switch off overnight. And set
it to twice on working days as I'm single. Then flip it to 'once' when I'm
in all day.

I did wonder whether I would miss having that type of control, but I
found that with a temperature profile set that drops the demanded
temperature to 16 degrees overnight, the vast majority of nights the
boiler does not fire at all during this time. During the warmer months
the house tends to stay naturally warm enough to keep the stat satisfied
without calling for heat. So "off" states are achieved simply by setting
the program to a low enough demand.

--
Cheers,

John.