Stefek Zaba

Alan wrote:
Does anyone here know of a supplier of an adaptor to allow me to send
composite video over CAT5 cabling?
Situation is I already have CAT5 installed and adding dedicated video cable
would be *really* hard work. I believe CAT5 can do this, just a question of
using the right pairs.

Alan.

Google this group (groups.google.com, Advanced Search, choose "only in
group:" and specify uk.d-i-y) - we've been over this ground a while ago.
Bottom line: yes, it can be done, in that the Cat5 cable performance is
up to the job; but it's done rather rarely and in "professional"
settings that the necessary adaptors (baluns - litte transformers,
essentially) cost "professional" money, like about 80 quid each. Oh, and
you need a pair - one at each end.

Suppliers? (Reaches for Canford catalogue - www.canford.co.uk, aka the
BBC Spares Department ;-) p.675 of their catalogue shews they'll flog
you one Intelix V1A2, to handle "one composite baseband video + two mono
or one stereo audio, via female BNC and two RCA phono", for the bargain
price of 92.49. Plus VAT. And delivery. And you'll need a pair. Hell,
push the boat out and get the V2A2 which uses the last of the four pairs
to allow two video signals - it's only a fiver more for each one.

Now, how much "really hard work" does that 250 quid buy? ;-)