The Natural Philosopher

Default Screed how long to dry URGENT REPLIES NEEDED HELP!

Martin wrote:

Thanks for your reply Andy. Unfortunately the slate was laid today! We
received advise from Stonell that it be OK to lay the slate on the screed
after only a few days as long as we don't seal them. From that advise I
assume their reasoning is that they think that screed gives out moisture and
as long as the slate isn't sealed and grouted moisture will be able to
escape from the screed allowing it to dry- is this totally incorrect? Can we
claim from Stonell if the tiles crack later? Help!!!!! Also the instructions
on the adhesive and it says 3 weeks should be allowed before tiling after
screed is laid! Is Stonell right or everyone else!? My builder is intending
to stain stop the tiles and grout tomorrow should I tell him to wait????

I think teh greatest danger is not the dampness of the screed being
unable to escape, but the danger of the screed shrinking and causing
loose slates etc.

I would satin stop it immediately, but hold off grouting a week or two.
If a slate crack or lifts, you can replace it fairly easily. (Car body
filer is a superb tile ahesive BTW, just ***ing expensive....)

Thanks

Martin