buck

Dave.... Seeing that I am not an expert in this area I have read lots of
different articles on the web, many of which say there is no need to use
water with HSS chisels. Most of them say to just let them air cool and not
shock them with water when they get hot...... I don't know if this is true
or not but a lot of experienced turners say it is true. I suppose if you
use water right from the start your chisel will never get hot enough to
damage it.
-Differnt strokes for different.......... me guesses

wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:45:59 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

Buck, Who told you not to use water with HSS chisels?
When you need to sharpen them, you must keep them cool when grinding.
Frequent dips in a cup of water will prevent the chisel from overheating.
Water will not harm the chisel in any way.

Dave

to clarify: do not dip HSS in water when it is very hot. use a light
touch on the wheel and dip it frequently before it gets hot, to keep
it cool. if you do manage to get it hot enough to blue the edge, let
it air cool a bit before dipping it.