lurking licker

This is just a floor drain right? In case of an overflow, clogged drain, or
burst hose? DO NOT just let it drain into the basement. If you route the drain
outside or INTO the basement floor drain above it's trap, you don't really
need a trap to prevent sewer gas coming up the drain. You'll need some kind of
screen or baffle at the outflow to keep varmints out. I don't think you
really need a vent either, at least not a "to code" one. In the case of a
clogged washer drain your going to get only the amount of water used in the
cycles, several gallons yes, but not like the other scenarios. And any drain
is better than none. If you can, always turn the water supply to the washer
off when you are not actually using it or at least get metal braided
reinforced hoses for it. My worst non rain caused garage flooding was caused
by a bad water level sensor. Water just kept flowing into and over the tub. And
of course we left the house right after starting the washer. When we returned
we wondered where all that water running down the gutter for blocks was coming
from. Some how I was able to force my way upstream thru the rapids and shut the
washer off. I bought a RadioShack ScienceFair 9 volt rain detector and a LOUD
buzzer, wired that to a normally on solinoid from an Electrical supply house at
the washer outlet outlet. I put the detector on the floor far enough from the
washer so it doesn't get splashed from normal use. I have no idea how long
that 9V battery will hold the solenoid off if it ever has to, Ichange it at
smoke detector time and could replace it with a transformer I guess, And of
course i could add solinoids at the water valves in case the washer ones get
stuck or a hose bursts. I could hire a monkey or rent a laundress to just sit
and watch the washer too. But some where is a point of diminishing returns.
Really all you need is a hole in the floor with a hose leading off outside
downstream somewhere. No traps no vents nothing complicated about it.
yum yum toungy here and here and here and maybe even there