Ian Middleton

Mark Spice wrote:

My wife has been in a discussion on a web forum about access for the
disabled in new homes. One of the people on this forum is claiming that
the
majority of house builders are not complying with Part M of the building
regs, that they are saving huge piles of cash and getting away with it.

Does this seem likely to you guys? I believe that new houses with an
NHBC
warranty are not inspected by the BCO but by an NHBC inspector. Is this
the
case and do you think this is likely to have a bearing on the issue?

Just wondering really and this seemed like the best informed group
available

Sadly my BCO won't let ME get away with it I can assure you.

Bloody effin ramps. when even my most wheelchair bound guest can leap a
good 2 " in his chair.

If all the money we spend on disabled access, were given to disabled
people to buy whatever it is that meets their special needs - and bloody
ramps it ain't, nor bloody sockets halfway up walls - then they would be
happy, we would be happy, and we could shoot Blunkett with impunity.

(*)

When my friend moved into an new estate (2000 ?) he had the ramp removed
(mose likely not built), replaced by a step and normal door with decent
ground seals fitted. The site builders on site retro-fitted the door at his
request, as he knew people on the estate who were all having severe rain
water leakage problems under the front door. It appears Part M doors a very
supceptable to seal damage thus letting rain in.

Also had electric sockets and light switched positioned non part M (at his
request) as in his previous house suffered major problems:-

- Low down light switches are reachable by 2 year olds, with all the ensuing
problems that causes !!!
- Sockets being higher up are much more noticable by 2 years olds, with all
the problems that causes.
- Sockets being higher up are much harder to hide behind furniture (ie
boxes, small tables etc) to hide from 2 years olds.

My house (2000 build) has no ramp normal step, keeps water out fine (rain
does get underneath door but not into the house) and sockets and switches
have not attracted the attention of my children being non Part M
positioning.