Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(William Warburton) writes:
Hi,
The bearings failed on my AEG washer-dryer. I have replaced them
successfully but discovered secondary damage to the drum, where the
inner part appears to have struck the heating element (bending it) and
knocked a fitting of some sort (possibly a support for said element?)
off the outer drum. This has left a hole about the size of a penny at
the bottom of the outer drum.

I'm about to price a replacement drum (suspect this is going to be
uneconomic) but wondered if it's likely to be practical to repair the
hole some other way (a silicone sealed patch pop-riveted in place,
perhaps?).

Probably. What's the outer drum made of?
Many years ago, I kept an old Hoover washing machine going for
a good few years by repairing the leaks in the steel drum with
a car Isopon kit occasionally.

I'm concerned that the elemement may be damaged, too- is a resistance
check likely to be sufficient to confirm it's working? If so what
would I be looking for (~8 ohms?)?

Not sure what it will be cold, but not open circuit.
I would guess a lot nearer its operating resistance (24 ohms
for a 2kW heater). Check the metal case of the element is not
punctured and that element is isolated from case.

--
Andrew Gabriel