Adrian Brentnall

HI Jurb
Thanks for the comments

On 05 Dec 2004 22:36:27 GMT, (JURB6006) wrote:

Since no doubt you're doing this for sound quality reasons, might I suggest you
consider better caps, like the poly dipped kind, or maybe those designed for
high end speaker crossovers.

I'm not really convinced in this particular case - I're rather
restore to original spec. instead of 'improving' things - I should
really be spending the time practicing my organ playing rather than
tinkering anyway !

Not only should they last longer, but they'll likely have lower ESR and the
capacitance will be more accurate. If this thing is older, lytics weren't quite
as small back then and you might just be able to fit them in the space you
have. Another reason for doing this is that electrolytics caps of the newer
type seem to be a pariah to the equipment in which they're installed.

These caps provide a simple 'sustain' effect by effectively keeping
the line associated with a particular key / note "pressed" once it has
been physically released. No doubt it would be ideal if they were all
exactly the same value - but I'm not about to sort through a bin of
C's in order to find 40 matched components!

Having designed and built a few amps, I avoid using electrolytics in the audio
path like the plague. Only if and when nessecary. Of course I'm going to use
them for power supply filters, but in the audio path I think they're bad news.

Even if you wind up using 'lytics, try to find some good ones, i.e. not the
kind they use in TVs. Possibly you could talk to someone at a local high-end
audio repair facility. They would know more about where to get such parts in
your area.

I've found a local supplier - I guess I can always re-cap an octave of
the keyboard and satisfy myself that it's working OK before commiting
to all 40 notes g

Many thanks for your comments
Adrian
Suffolk UK