Ralph J. Ramirez

I have kept a hollow vessel, out of beautiful lace redwood burl, that a hole
magically appeared upon parting it after having finished hollowing and
turning. Someday, I keep saying that, I will somehow laminate a foot to it,
add a collar, and salvage this beautiful piece of burl. That was 5 years
ago, I guess it will probably never get done, however; it is a good reminder
to be more careful in the hollowing process.......Ralph

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've been turning now for a bit over a year and it has been a most

enjoyable
passtime. Last night I started to clean up the shop a bit and and as in

the
past when cleaning up, decided to hang on to the failed turnings on my
shelves. I really should call them errors rather then failures as I

learned
a bit from each of them. There are the ones where the wood was a bit on

the
punky side and the tennon tore loose; the ones where bark inclusions
magically appeared and decided on their own that I didn't want the bowl to
be as high as I'd planned, not too mention the ones I've just set aside as
the end grain just proved too darn stubborn to just go away.
Does anyone else keep reminders of this sort around their shop? I can

only
hope that the distribution of the number of the bowls when plotted across
time will show a marked bias to the early days and then taper off
assymptotically as time and turning goes on.
Thanks