Andy Hall

Default Dremel Multi Tool or Cheaper alternative?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:48:49 +0000, DC wrote:

I am going to purchase a Dremel multi tool or a cheaper alternative
for a range of general DIY work. A number of these multi tools are
available made by different manufacturers not just Dremel. All models
looked at so far come with a Flex Shaft attachment so that tool can
be usefully held like a pen for doing addtional stuff like engraving
etc.

Electronic speed variation appears to be the main consideration as
some tools have variable speeds starting from 5000 RPM going up to
35000 RPM. Alternatively, some tools have a higher start speed at
17000 RPM going up to 33500 RPM. Why the different speeds and how
important is the lower speeds?

Ones I've looked at so far come from Dremel with cheaper alternatives
coming from Clarke and Draper. Can anyone comment on the above or
recommend the particular tool their using and why?

Many thanks for any comments
DC

I have one of the Dremel Professional tools and use it quite
regularly. Main applications are for cut off using the miniature
grinding wheels, fine drilling, fine routing in confined spaces,
grinding and clean up on small things.

It is relatively specific because of its size, but when I do use it
it's because a larger tool won't do the job. THe speed control is
certainly useful because some of the finer drilling applications work
better at lower speed, whereas others like routing are better done at
high speed.

However, I wouldn't describe this as a general purpose DIY tool
because although useful for the range of jobs it does, it won't tackle
larger things at any useful rate of work. If you are mainly thinking
about small size jobs then I think it's ideal.

For larger jobs where an adaptable and more substantial tool is
needed, I have a Fein Multimaster.

This is a much more substantial tool with a 180W motor which delivers
an oscillating motion at the head. There are dozens of accessories
which make it useful for detail or even more substantial sanding jobs
as well as cutting of various materials, scraping etc. I tend to use
this more than the Dremel, although it varies according to the jobs
that I am doing.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/...ter/index.html

These start at slightly north of £100, but well worth the cost.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl