Tom Gardner

If you can use copper, I have a large number of 3/4" by @0.050" copper disks
available for just $.05 ea. in packs of 50.

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

I needed to make a 0.75 inch diamter disk with two small holes in it
for 3-48 mounting screws.

I drilled the holes in the mill and then parted the disk off about
.070 thick on the lathe. The parting tool when quite a bit off
when it encounter the holes leaving the back of the disk very
irregular. I managed to grind the disk flat, but I want to learn
how to do this better next time. Obviously parting an irregular
cut is not desirable and I got away with it because the holes are
tiny. Bigger holes probably would have broken the parting tool.

If I use the banksaw to slice the disk off, I suspect it will be
just as irregular as using the parting tool.

If I part the disk off before drilling the holes, I think it would be
difficult to mount the disk and indicate it to accurately locate the
holes. The only idea I can come up with it to superglue it to an
aluminum stub shaft and drill.

Looking for good ideas for next time.

chuck