Set Square

I suspect that this may be a "how long is a piece of string" type of
question, but thought I would seek the advice and knowledge of the
group.

We've just had the structural engineer round and the good news is that
I don't have subsidence. The bad news is that the two joists that run
directly underneath the back are rotten as hell. These joists run
between the two external walls at either side of the bathroom and one
of them butts up pretty close to the rear wall of the property. Access
to them from beneath is pretty easy as theirs currently no ceiling in
the kitchen beneath them.

So, the question is, how hard a job is it likely to be for me to
remove these two joists and replace them with new timber. Is it in
the realms of DIY, or is it really a job for the professionals? I
class myself as being fairly competent and unlikely to cut corners or
do a bad job but still...

As always, thanks for any and all advice.

Seri

It shouldn't be too difficult as long as there are no pipes and cables going
*through* the existing joists. If there are, you will have to re-route
these - or disconnect them, and drill holes in the new joists for them.

The existing joists are probably actually built into the supporting walls -
which can only really be done at the time of original construction. You can
probably get a new joist into one of the wall sockets, but you'll have to
use a joist hanger at the other end. You can bolt this to the brickwork,
after making good the existing hole.
--
Cheers,
Set Square