Charles Middleton

Default Lowered ceiling

All,

Just looking for general thoughts at the moment on the following:

Im planning at making some improvements to my home cinema room. The
plan is to created a new lowered ceiling below the current ceiling.
This will be around 10 - 15 cm lower. What I want to do is leave a gap
around the edge of the new ceiling to form a sort or recess, probably
around 10 cm. Mounted on the top around the new ceiling I plan to put
some form of dimmable lighting. Other lighting will be provided by
dimmable spot lights.

Any thoughts on the following:

- Material to use for the lowered section. Plasterboard? Wood?
- What sort of lighting to use for the edge light, neon, fl. tubes.
- Presumably the way to mount it is via wooden battons screwed into the
existing joists.
- The area will be ventilated as it wont be sealed in at the sides. Am
I allowing enough room above my spot lights or will they get to hot.
Thanks in advance,

CM.