Jeff Wisnia

Why do you need a ball valve? Wouldn't a simple U bend do
the trick?

I don't see how it would....Unless they were quite tall and very well
insulated.

The hot water in the tank rises to the top of the U, and stops.
it's not going to to down the far side, because the water
downstream is colder and denser than the water in the top
of the U. you might get some convection between the top
of the U and the heater tank, but that ought to be it.

Yes, I agree now. I forgot that there's typically no "return line" as
there is in a "gravity operated" thermionic hot water heating system.

And if there *was* a return line it'd be there for the purpose of
providing "quick hot water" at the faucets via convection, exactly the
opposite of the energy savings this thread is about, so you wouldn't
want to install anything to interfere with the intended action.

Would you agree that a short U-bend wouldn't stop water from circulating
when there was a return as in a heating system?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)