Andy Hall

Default Screed how long to dry URGENT REPLIES NEEDED HELP!

Thanks for your reply Andy. Unfortunately the slate was laid today! We
received advise from Stonell that it be OK to lay the slate on the screed
after only a few days as long as we don't seal them.

I'm surprised in a way, because they supplied my slate and were one of
the sources of advice to wait three weeks. Oh well.

From that advise I
assume their reasoning is that they think that screed gives out moisture and
as long as the slate isn't sealed and grouted moisture will be able to
escape from the screed allowing it to dry- is this totally incorrect?

the curing process is predominantly a chemical one rather than a
drying out one.

My concern is that the moisture has been removed from the screed
artificially and the curing may not complete properly. I believe,
but would need to check, that with a dryish mix like a screed, that
the risk from too rapid drying is that it can crack or in the worst
case crumble.

Can we
claim from Stonell if the tiles crack later?

I think that that would be tough.

Help!!!!! Also the instructions
on the adhesive and it says 3 weeks should be allowed before tiling after
screed is laid! Is Stonell right or everyone else!?

Three weeks is undoubtedly a conservative figure and you may get away
with less.

My builder is intending
to stain stop the tiles and grout tomorrow should I tell him to wait????

It probably is not going to make a huge difference at this point. If
the room has been artificially dried then most of what moisture there
was will have gone.

I suppose what you could do is to leave the slate unsealed and
ungrouted for the moment and cover it with paper or something to
protect it for a week or so. Then see what happens and go from there.

Thanks

Martin

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl