Martin

Default Screed how long to dry URGENT REPLIES NEEDED HELP!

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:58:41 -0000, "Martin"
wrote:

Help!
There has been some confusion over whether we can seal our slate tiles

as
our screed has been only laid for 5 days, would it really be a problem
sealing the tiles as we can't grout till the tiles are sealed/stain

stopped.
What problems would be encountered if we seal it and the screed hasn't
dried????

Would appreciate answers very soon

Thanks

Martin

The advice I had from several sources when a screed was laid in my
conservatory on top of a concrete base was to wait a week after the
oversite concrete before screeding and then 3 weeks after that before
laying slate.

You should really wait before laying the slate, never mind about
sealing. Curing of the screed is mainly a chemical process, but if
you are too fast off the mark in laying the tiles, I understand from a
professional who did that there is a risk of the slates either lifting
or cracking.

It's a case of being patient.....

Thanks for your reply Andy. Unfortunately the slate was laid today! We
received advise from Stonell that it be OK to lay the slate on the screed
after only a few days as long as we don't seal them. From that advise I
assume their reasoning is that they think that screed gives out moisture and
as long as the slate isn't sealed and grouted moisture will be able to
escape from the screed allowing it to dry- is this totally incorrect? Can we
claim from Stonell if the tiles crack later? Help!!!!! Also the instructions
on the adhesive and it says 3 weeks should be allowed before tiling after
screed is laid! Is Stonell right or everyone else!? My builder is intending
to stain stop the tiles and grout tomorrow should I tell him to wait????

Thanks

Martin