Richard W.

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
I slide the steady rest up next to the headstock and locate the three
roller bearing of my steady rest on the round part of the barrel.
I open the top of the steady rest, move it to the right end of the ways,
loosen the 4 jaw, slide the barrel out of the chuck partially to reach
the steady rest, dial in the chuck on the round part of the left end of
the barrel, and then clamp the steady rest on the round part of the
left end of the barrel.

If the steady rest can change height with how much it is tightened, that
is no good.

If your ways are worn from the tail stock sliding bank and forth, then you
will be below center. Usually there is no wear under the chuck because the
tail stock can't be moved under the chuck. because the cross slide/carriage
is in the way. I have seen the tail stock as much as .090 low due to wear on
the bed and underside of the tail stock. If you have a lathe that's in good
shape you can do it as described above. If it's not, then you have to dial
it in the way I described in my earlier post.

Richard W.