Tekkie

John Hines posted for all of us....

Tekkie wrote:

John Hines posted for all of us....

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

That will tell you the corrrect BTU rating (tons should be outlawed as a
form of description, since no two makes are the same) that you need for the

The way I learned it, a ton of AC is 12,000 btu, which in the "old days"
was about 1hp of compressor. This was in the late 70's, from a guy who
had been doing AC since the 30's, and I was helping out on 35 and 400
ton units.

Now with more efficient units that "rule of thumb" on compressor power
is probably no longer valid, but the sales brochures on the units I've
been looking at match the 12,000 btu/h per ton measurement.

And this means exactly what?

BTU/H is a standard measurement of heat movement. A 3 ton air
conditioner moves 36,000 BTU's of heat per hour. It is like a ton of
mass is 2,000 lbs (in English measure at least).

3 tons is easier to say than thirty six thousand British thermal units
per hour, but has the same meaning.

Yeah... but what does this have to do with original question?
--
Tekkie