Andy Hall

Default Steel box section strength

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:53:52 -0000, "Capitol"
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote in message
Well, I've got a quote of 40 quid for enough 3/4" x 3/4" 16 gauge to span 3
times. That, I believe means 19mm x 19mm @ 1.5mm thick. Hopefully, this

will
be stiff enough to stop the Granite cracking.

If you pack the centre of the steel box section with a small
gravel/sand/cement concrete mix, you will find that the stiffness is
substantially increased. It's probably equivalent to a 3" thick granite
slab. I'd pack the gap between the steel box and the granite with something
like Unibond stone repair( sets like rock, 10 minutes max working life), to
ensure that the granite could not flex relative to the steel.

Are you sure about that? Granite is not going to flex at all, so
fixing it with an adhesive that has no give to something that might
but shouldn't doesn't seem intuitively right to me.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl