Ecnerwal

In article ,
Eddie Munster wrote:

My lathe specifications are 42 inches between centers. Well sure, that
is without a spur in the headstock or a live center in the tailstock.

In reality of what I can turn between centers, reasonbly being able to
mount it, is 39.5 inches.

A: they are all measured that way, so far as I know.

B: a dead center does work, people used them for centuries, and it can
help you get several more inches when you need them. Use a little wax
and/or oil on it. There is less to be gained at the headstock,
generally, but some drive spurs stick out less than others.

C: do you actually have a lot of work to do between 39.5" and 42"?
That's a fairly tall table if you're turning legs. It's a long baseball
bat. It's a short Peavey handle.