Terry Coombs

Backlash wrote:
My forklift has the older, cylindrical shaped ignition coil, with a
12 volt system. The coil was using an external resistor when I got
the lift truck. It is now wired to get 12 volts when starting, and it
fires up INSTANTLY. It then drops back to the resistor for running.
However, after starting the engine with half choke and running for a
couple of minutes, I push off the manual choke. As the engine warms
up, you can hear cylinders "coming in" that weren't running properly
before. A plug check found smutty plugs, but the engine runs
relatively well after the "clearing out" occurs. The engine should
not be over-choked, because I am just choking it enough to keep it
running as well as possible, no black smoke exhausting, etc. I am
wondering if the resistor is cutting back on the coil too much,
affecting my spark after startup and during running. The coil has no
markings. I am thinking about bypassing the resistor to see if things
improve, but I obviously don't want to burn up the coil. Does anyone
have any info on how to tell if a coil really NEEDS an external
resistor? Any ohm readings I can take to tell if it's a coil that
can be run without a resistor at 12 volts? Thanks for any helpful
info.

RJ

The resistor is more to extend point life . Even with a capacitor to
absorb the surge , 12v will fry the points . You might try a Chevy ballast
resistor . Are you sure it doesn't use a resistance wire to the coil ? Too
much resistance will surely weaken the spark .

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"