Alan

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:20:54 -0800, Abe wrote:

Assuming I do this, I see one problem. For the hot supply line, there
are no shutoff valves between the washer valve and the hot water
heater. For the cold supply line, the only valve between the washer
valve and the supply line for my house is a shutoff that will shut the
water off to the entire house.

So, I anticipate that I am going to have to turn off my main house
shutoff valve before I remove the washer valve. Is this a risky
thing? What is the main house shutoff valve fails?

Sounds to me like you can turn off the water supply coming in to the
water heater, then drain the water heater. You'll have much less water
to deal with then at the valve site.

Assuming you can turn off the water into the water heater, there is no
reason to have to turn off the main.

except to turn off the cold water?