Earl

I have my lathe in the basement. In our previous house, I had a
seperate shop but didn't use it 1/2 as much as now 'cause I had to go
outside, trudge through snow in the winter, fire up a heater, wait for
it to get warm, etc., etc. So I love the basement but until I put in a
dust collector system I had a ton of dust all over the house. As
others have said, it's not the turning as much as sanding and if you
are just learning you will be doing alot of sanding.

Another work around if it isn't too cold where you are and you have a
window, put a box fan in the window blowing out, seal around it, shut
the door to the shop. It works great...sucks the air from under the
shop door and causes all the air flow to go into the shop from the
basement and out the window. I did that until I got the dust collector
because the fan bit doesn't work when it's 15 degrees out!

Earl