Lyn J. Mangiameli

Generally they don't. Great sailing, mountaineering and backpacking gear
has had lots of R&D and is now quite refined. Some of my feedback to
manufacturers of turning clothing has been to be more attentive to what
has been accomplished by those groups, and apply it to woodturning gear.
We face many of the same issues: freedom of movement, a lack of bulk so
things don't get caught, good ventilation while at the same time offer
am effective seal from the environment (as you know, the spray off some
wet wood is little better than wind driven rain) and to that we add some
need to resist glue and wood extractives and finishes. In the end,
though, I think we will never see turning equipment of this level, in
large measure because torso clothing is unlikely to be ever considered
survival equipment in the same way as it is for the other groups.

Lyn

Denis Marier wrote:
I have a turner's smock on my wish list.
I was going to discard an old breathable and rain proof sailing jacket.
Then one day I was roughing green blanks. It did not take too long I was
wet and covered with wood chips and wet dust running down my neck. I look
around and saw the old sailing jacket and used it. Since then the old
jacket has a new lease on life and protects me well without sweating,
getting wet and no wood chips are sticking to it.
I can only hope that the Turner's smock advertised are made with material
that has the same quality as my old sailing jacket. FWIW