Colin

Thankyou for all responses. Having tryed the hair dryer thing; It seems
that either ;

a. these valves were designed by someone with shares in powergen.....or
b. i am too tightfisted and should leave the central heating for longer.

At a guess i would say that on their lowest setting, screwed right in, they
turn off at about 14 maybe 15 degrees c. Which i guess i should be heating
the house to about that anyway. I was just a bit confused that when screwed
in, the radiator still functioned, i expected it to turn off.

As this is my first house / winter gas bill, i am unsure of how much CH
'on' time costs, so in case anyone was wondering, that is why i am maybe
alittle over cautious with heating.Besides, I dont get cold with lots of
jumpers :-)

As a bit of an offshoot from this topic, is there any information on the
heat retaining properties of homes with (as mine) solid concrete walls as
apposed to a 'cavitied' wall? Are concrete walls as bad as it gets? (aside
from maybe.....copper or ice?)

Thankyou again,

Colin

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Colin wrote:
Also, how do they work! Anyone know?!

Remove the top part - there's a metal ring just below the plastic, which
should come undone by hand. That will reveal a pin which controls the
water valve. It should move down with finger pressure against a spring and
return. If it doesn't, they're stuck. They can sometimes be freed with a
tap from a chunk of wood or similar. But if old might leak after this.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.