Bob H

Ian Stirling wrote:
Bob H wrote:

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Is there any special drill bit or procedure that needs to be followed
when drilling into stainless steel?

You can use a decent quality HSS drill as well.
Start off with a small/pilot hole, then increase size of drill to full
diameter you require.
Oh, yes use plenty of cutting fluid as well. DO NOT use too much
pressure or you will quickly blunt the drills.

As I have only 35 years experience in engineering I don't know what I am
talking about! so you are free to ignore this.

Plus, there is stainless and stainless, it varies from "what are people
going on about" to "I can't believe it's not diamond".
The first can in some cases also convert into the second, if you don't
press hard enough, and the drill gets to rotate without cutting.
Or if the drill is slightly blunt.
IMO, if you've only got a few holes to drill, too much pressure is better
than not enough.

Also, high speed on an electric drill should not be used for any but the
smallest drills.

Yes there is 'stainless' and 'stainless'. There is, if I remember
correctly 18.8.1 and 18.something else.1. I think the 'something else'
might be 13.

Its been about 5 years now since I had anything to do with that.
Cutting fluid is the key here tho'

--
Bob H
Leeds UK