Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Sparks" writes:
The company I am working for at the moment has a radial circuit for their
server room (Small basement)

I had to shutdown the three servers & UPS yesterday, as I was installing an
additional comms card to the UPS.

When I turned the UPS back on (Loaded with a router, 24 port switch,
firewall and a monitor) it tripped its breaker.

I then realised the breaker is only rated at 16Amp
should this be 20A (As per normal radials?)

There may be some reason it's 16A. It might be possible to
increase it and/or change it to a type which will allow a
larger switch-on surge through, but not without inspecting
the circuit.

Would this indicate all the electrics should be checked for other problems?

They should anyway. Most large companies I've worked for have
a building test done once every year or two. Probably should
be done at least every 5 years. It's part of an employer's
responsibility to ensure they provide a safe workplace.

(There doesn't seem to be any RCD's for anything either, just 100A isolators
in the two CU's)

This is in an office, would there be any requirement for having RCD's?

No. I only install RCD's on computer supplies in environments
where engineering work is routinely being performed, i.e. opening
up the system and working inside them.

--
Andrew Gabriel