Mike

wrote in message ...
Gel wrote:
Kidde ones on TLC website use a mounting plate [provided with alarm];
this has knockouts for standard dry lining boxes[round or square];
this of course assumes you have the ceiling void access available to
you.

They have loose battery back up or sealed in Lithium with 10 Year
Guarantee too; well worth extra cost.

Yes, the TLC site (and its links to Kidde) has been the most useful
site I've found so far. Thanks for the extra information regarding
how the alarms can be mounted on standard dry lining boxes, that's one
of the major bits of information I wanted.

If not, you'd need the surface pattress too; this is fixed to ceiling,
and accepts mini trunking entry; the pattress has 4 way terminal block
in.
Cable harness with alarm plugs into back of alarms, and flying leads
{3] go into terminal block.

With drylining recessed box you provide the term block; Regs demand
this must be fixed; ensure your dry lining box has peg in for term
block to slide onto.

How much less do the alarms stick out when on a dry-lining box as
opposed to a surface mount one?

They are like a normal battery alarm. i.e. quite sensible.