Owain

"Al" wrote
| Dave Plowman (News) wrote:-
| If they gave you the individual costs before they started work as
| requested, then you've accepted them by allowing the work to start.
| What I was told: the fan had gone initially, I was told how much THAT
| would be (with a switch), replacing that it half-worked but wouldn't
| fire up properly. The PCB had failed (the replacement had a fuse on it
| which the original didn't). I was told how much the PCB would be.
| Replacing the PCB blew the fuse (twice). He traced in back to the pump
| and I was told how much THAT would be.
| So it just sort of accummulated, not all in one hit.

I don't think you have cause for complaint over the price of parts - you
accepted the prices they gave - but if the fault was actually in the pump
then I think you are entitled to expect the plumber to use reasonable care
and skill to locate the fault and not charge you for replacement parts which
possibly were unneccessary.

Do you still have the old parts - if there was nothing wrong with the fan or
PCB you shouldn't be charged for replacing them.

| It would be helpful if the trading standards website gave the ability
| to post a question to them to SEE if there's just cause to take
| matters further.

If you find the Consumer Direct website there is a contact form on that. If
you fill it in and you are in the areas covered by the service one of their
advisers will email back to you.

Owain