Bob Mannix

"Al" wrote in message
om...
Bob Mannix ) wrote:-

You can charge anything you like if the purchaser is told the (correct)
price in advance (as seems to be the case here). Had they said it would

be
"about Łaverage cost you found" and then charged Łtheir price, you

might
have had a case.

mrcheerful . ) wrote:-

It doesn't sound as though the
plumbers have done anything wrong, they may be expensive but they did

the
job, end of story.

Dave Plowman (News) ) wrote:-

If they gave you the individual costs before they started work as
requested, then you've accepted them by allowing the work to start.

What I was told: the fan had gone initially, I was told how much THAT
would be (with a switch), replacing that it half-worked but wouldn't
fire up properly. The PCB had failed (the replacement had a fuse on it
which the original didn't). I was told how much the PCB would be.
Replacing the PCB blew the fuse (twice). He traced in back to the pump
and I was told how much THAT would be.

So it just sort of accummulated, not all in one hit.

It all sounded very plausible to the novice, but just leaves a nasty
taste, especially after checking the price that 'I' could get the
parts for.

I wasn't suggesting that the plumber was other than morally reprehensible! I
assumed you meant "pursue it further legally". As you were told the prices
beforehand, I don't think you could pursue it legally - it isn't illegal to
"overcharge" (whatever that means) - otherwise perfume manufacturers would
be out of business.

If you meant pursue it further by naming and shaming, writing to complain
etc., carry on! If they are members of a "professional" organisation, you
could also complain to them. You could name them here, for example, as a
warning to others.

If any of the charges were not told to you beforehand OR it turns out some
of the work was unnecessary, that's a different story and you would have to
do a cost/benefit analysis on whether it was worth doing anything or just
better to chalk it up to experience.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)