T i m

Default Steel box section strength

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:19:08 +0000, Parish wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

Is there any way you could fit a wall bolted, 'triangular' shaped,
steel brace in the middle or do you need an uncluttered space?

I'd need to drill a very big hole through the washing machine to accommodate
the brace. It might prevent the drum rotating, too.

Hmmm, I take it we are talking about this layout, from your thread
"Granite worktop span"?

++----+----++----+---+----+---+---+
|| WM | TD || DW | +----+ | |
|| | || | 1 |SINK| 2 | 3 |
++----+----++----+---+ +---+---+

Support profile:
^^ 1.2m ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You need a support 'twixt the WM and TD, yes? How about this (which is
what I thought Tim meant but, judging by his reaction to your reply, it
wasn't) fabricate a "shelf bracket" from angle iron and flat strip, it
only needs to be 3mm thick steel, screw it _solidly_ to the wall at the
back of the worktop.

[T] Hi Parish, it was exactly what I had in mind for the middle of the
span but it turns out there is no space for such? I think Christian is
going to use the surrounding gear for the xbeam support at either end?

It will be more than strong enough. All you need is
3mm of space between the WM and TD, surely you must have that?

I couldn't draw it in ASCII art, so here's a quick CAD drawing of what I
mean. http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~mark/support.png

[T] The flat strip brace is fine where you have to sneak the bracket
into a thin gap. If it was 3mm thick and as wide as your drawing
suggests it shouldn't buckle under compression ;-)

All the best ..

T i m