Andy Hall

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:08:08 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Steven Briggs
wrote:
Which of course makes a complete mockery of the whole
business. "Fly by Night Kitchens Ltd" just get _one_ of their
monkeys^H fitters off an appropriate course, join NICEIC, and
hey presto the cowboys in the field continue as usual, with
their diagonal wiring routes and choc-blocks buried in
plaster style workmanship.

But AIUI if a registered person does work to which Part P
applies he has to give the customer a certificate confirming
that it has been done correctly and tested. If it then comes out
that the work is as you describe the person is in deep trouble -
more likely through being sued than Part P enforcement by the LA
admittedly.

True, but how is it detected?

I can only see a small numer of ways:

- The work is part of a larger thing where the BCO is involved for
inspection and happens to notice something awry and gets it checked.

- Something bad happens like a fire. We already know that the stats
on that indicate that it's very improbable on a fixed wiring issue.
Since there's nothing covering old failing wiring, part P doesn't help
with this.

- NICEIC or equivalent body does an inspection. AIUI, the notion is
for that to be similar to CORGI and about two customers per member a
year. If the electrician does, say, 100 jobs a year then this is a 2%
sample rate. Not very useful.

- Property is sold and buyer's solicitor/surveyor picks it up. I
think that this is the most likely.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl