Andy Hall

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:53:08 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

However, the equipment isn't cheap so the connection cost is
relatively high now - wasn't when I got it.

From the SP's point of view, the coverage works well. In my area,
there are base stations about every 5-8km and they can cover line of
sight - generally about 8km or a bit more.

I don't think that it's a solution for every situation, but it's
better than ADSL and cable modem.

You say that, but when the "local" exchange gets ADSL enabled the
connections to the wireless networks start to drop off;(

True. Mainly because some of the original operators like Tele2
attempted to reach the consumer market with low cost entry packages
for consumers. The equipment and installation costs exceeded the
short term revenues and the economy of scale wasn't there to compete
with BT, and so these original operators fell by the wayside.
Nowadays, AIUI, the majority of WLL customers are businesses willing
to pay more.

THis fills a gap in the market between consumer "boadband" (not real
broadband) and 2Mb leased line.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl