Stefek Zaba

Mike wrote:

......., a wireless solution will dominate broadband provision in due
course.

Really?, What makes you think that then....

I'm a consultant for many of those companies.

Ah, an independent voice, then ;-)

Dinosaur-like, I just don't see it. RF spectrum is limited - Messrs
Nyquist, Fourier, and Shannon are tediously difficult to bamboozle,
whatever the IPO spreadsheet says :-) For the large urban areas, wired
wins in cost terms, readily so if you can re-use existing wire (hence
xDSL and cable-TV-piggyback schemes), pretty readily if you can re-use
existing ducting and wayleaves. If you have to dig new trenches, there's
a one-off capital cost, but final equipment cost is cheaper for both
operator and subscriber. That's where your business model affects the
investment decision - if you want to go after the better-off early
adopters and have the infrastructure cost scale quite closely with the
numbe of users, the Wireless Way is attractive; if you expect to build
to a mass market quickly, the pain of the initial investment is
outweighed by future revenues. Admittedly, that argument's easier to
make when the finance houses are falling over themselves to pump money
into anything with "interweb" in the name than now ;-)

Stefek