RichardS

"RichardS" noone@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Brad J" wrote in message

If I were to install a new front door in a blank wall on the front of
my house, and don't get building control approval of the work, what
are the potential consequences? It's not a listed building and the
front door would open onto a piece of my own land.

Why don't I want to get building regs approval? Because it's a hassle,
it costs, and I know how to install a lintel properly etc. The house
isn't going to fall down...

to be blunt, and without going into the rights and wrongs, it's a criminal
offence:

http://www.brent.gov.uk/faqs.nsf/0/5...5?OpenDocument

So, for a worst case scenario you could end up with a criminal record, a
fine and potentially severely curtail your future employment potential (I
know directly of a case where a fellow contractor was due to start on a
project with me for a major bank, but at the last minute Security &
Compliance stepped in & vetoed him on his disclosure of a drink-driving
conviction a few years before... i.e. nothing whatsoever to do with the

task
in hand).

On top of that, you could also make things considerably more difficult for
yourself if you sell the place.

I should add that this is the worst case scenario for breach of the building
regs.

If the work is compliant, then worst is probably that you'll have to apply
for regularisation (think that's more expensive than building notice
application at the time) , but it could mean that you need to espose the
installed lintel.

Which is all a PITA.

--
Richard Sampson