Andy Hall

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:45:27 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

The companies manufacturing broadband equipment pointed out that anything
installed now would be obsolete next week so don't bother. Most work on
VDSL in the UK is winding down and whether it's WiMax, satellite, laser or
whatever, a wireless solution will dominate broadband provision in due
course.

Really?, What makes you think that then....

I don't think that there's huge value in satellite unless you are
doing bulk downloads or spanning large continents like Russia where
satellite is used for backup. For interactive use it's poor.

Wireless local loop is pretty good. I've had such a service for
about 5 years on the 3.6-4.2GHz band and it works pretty well.
I can have an ADSL equivalent at lowish cost, or 512k, 1Mb or 2Mb
asymmetrical or symmetrical contended at 50, 15 or 5 to 1.
At the moment, I'm using 1Mb symmetrical, 5:1 and from measurements it
does deliver that.

However, the equipment isn't cheap so the connection cost is
relatively high now - wasn't when I got it.

From the SP's point of view, the coverage works well. In my area,
there are base stations about every 5-8km and they can cover line of
sight - generally about 8km or a bit more.

I don't think that it's a solution for every situation, but it's
better than ADSL and cable modem.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl