Alan

You can also get DIN rail mounting ones which fit in a consumer
unit. Actually, I bought an empty consumer unit just for mounting
these. You could fit them in a waterproof CU or DIN rail box for
outside use. The DIN rail ones are more expensive than the plug-in
appliance modules though. The DIN rail lamp module is much better
quality unit than it's plug-in equivalent though, always doing
switch on/off through a smoothed dimming operation, and it includes
a connection for operation via a momentary action switch if
required, quite separately from X10 operation. (Also claims to
support 'professional X10' whatever than is -- I think it might be
scene settings, but I don't have anything which can talk 'professional
X10' protocol to it.)

Andrew,

I found some 'X10 professional' bits he
http://www.homeautomation.eu.com/category/6

I like the look of the 4 channel dimming transmitter to fit inside existing
light switches!

I need to use the wired appliance modules to control some (fixed)
floodlights, so plug-in modules won't help.
I havn't used the DIN units yet, but may try them soon. However, looking at
the one on the letsautomate website, if I fitted it into my existing CU it
would't provide any current limiting breaker functionality like a MCB so
would need fitting into it's own box downstram from the CU. They don't
mention that on their website so I bet some people have them in CU's
unprotected!

Alan.