Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Alan" writes:
Hello,

I have a couple of X10 controlled appliance modules (see link below) which
are essentially a remote controllable relay. I wish to use some of these to
remotely switch floodlights on and off. However, they only have short
lengths of single insulated wires coming from them. See he
http://tinyurl.com/655v7

Incidently, it's usually often to buy the plug-in appliance modules.
If you disassemble them, you will find they consist of the part you
bought, with the addition of a 13A plug/socket/fuse. ;-)

If I wire this into a junction box, this will leave exposed single insulated
wiring. My understanding is that all accessable wiring should be
double-insulated - is this correct?
Do I need to mount these modules inside an enclosure to make them
double-insulated?? (And "safe"?)

Yes as Lurch said. You could mount them in the top of a box with
the upper part exposed for setting the housecode and unit numbers,
but with the bottom opening and wires inside the box. That wouldn't
be suitable for outdoor use though.

You can also get DIN rail mounting ones which fit in a consumer
unit. Actually, I bought an empty consumer unit just for mounting
these. You could fit them in a waterproof CU or DIN rail box for
outside use. The DIN rail ones are more expensive than the plug-in
appliance modules though. The DIN rail lamp module is much better
quality unit than it's plug-in equivalent though, always doing
switch on/off through a smoothed dimming operation, and it includes
a connection for operation via a momentary action switch if
required, quite separately from X10 operation. (Also claims to
support 'professional X10' whatever than is -- I think it might be
scene settings, but I don't have anything which can talk 'professional
X10' protocol to it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel