Andy Hall

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:34:16 GMT, "Stanley" wrote:

I am as peeved as anyone about Part P.

A thought to bear in mind, however, is the state of wiring we come accross.
I found in one house I bought a 1mm unfused feed to a wall light taken off
the downstairs ring main by twisting the wires together and wrapping them
all with insulation tape. The cable hung down to about 1 inch above high
water level in the underfloor which appeared in wet weather. I have come
accross many horrors.

There are loads of people out there producing situations like this and it is
at those that Part P is aimed. Unfortunately we get caught up in cross fire.

I had a colleague in an office that I worked in who was rewiring a house for
some one else. He was involved with two way switching and had a situation
where some lights only came on at half brightness. Presumably an
series/parallell problem. He asked me for advice! I told him that if he
couldn't think that one out he shouldn't be going near electrics and to send
for an electrician.

I'm sure you're right. The question is whether this legislation will
make any difference to people doing things like this. I think not.

Maybe it is needed? Many other countries have similar restrictions.

Many countries have inspection procedures, but don't tilt things such
that it's as expensive to get inspected.

I shall now hide behind something pretty darned solid and keep my head down

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl