Andy Wade

Ah, right, thanks. I hadn't realised they are a sort of half-way
house then and certainly worth upgrading to if only to avoid that
irritating flickering. I see an order coming up (or a visit to my
local Denmans).

You won't want to go back to glow starters once you've go to used to
these. BTW they only work in standard inductive ballast circuits. I
tried one once in a Thorn pop-pack twin fitting (PP270) one half of
which used a leading circuit (i.e. capacitive ballast with small series
inductor for striking) and it wasn't happy at all.

--
Andy