Tony Williams

In article ,
JimGC wrote:
My Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer has started to give of a
faintly electrical "ozoney" sort of smell that gets onto the
clothes inside. I suspect that this is the motor on its last
legs. Does this sound right, and if so, is it a DIY replacement
job, a whole new motor, or a whole new tumble drier.... ? I've
cleaned all th filters as best I can, just in case it's notthe
motor, but...

BTDTGTTS, just last week. You've probably got fluff
inside the body of the TD, far more than you can imagine,
a serious fire hazard. I removed at least a bucketful
out of our Hotpoint TD.

Unplug the machine and carefully lay it on it's front.
Identify the raised heater housing on the back, remove
all fixing screws, remove housing. Note the charred
fluff on the heater elements. Vacuum out everything.
Replace the housing.

Now look at the base of the machine, up the air intake
grilles. Use a bent bit of coat hanger to pull the
fluff down to the grilles, to where the vacuum cleaner
can suck them through.

Put the machine upright, remove the top lid. Vacuum out
the fluff etc. Replace lid, vacuum out the outlet hosings.

BTW: Our fluff build up reduced the airflow such that the
(non-resettable) overtemperature switch went. Two switches
inside the heater housing, replaceable only as a pair.

Hotpoint's price is GBP18.97 for a pair of 2-quid switches.

--
Tony Williams.