Scrim

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tomasso sometimes makes things up" writes:
I went to a car accessory place and found an epoxy + iron "muffler putty"
product. It bonds to almost everything and has a continuous working
termperature of 260 C.
It was $14 for maybe 100 gm. To repair the ceramic part of the quartz
bulb, I expect this would be fine. To repair quartz, no way!

As it happens, the max working temperature of the pinch seal is
250C in a halogen lamp. Besides obvious things like overrunning
the lamp or lack of ventilation, something which does sometimes
result in their failure is overheating the pinch seal caused by
bad lampholder contact generating heat. (That could also be the
cause of the ceramic end cap breaking.)

Another issue with glueing such things is differential expansion
as they change temperature. This can cause fine cracks in glass/
quartz/cintered aluminium oxide, which lets the fill gas out and
air in. A high pressure halogen lamp which has such a crack and
has filled with air whilst cold will often explode at switch-on.
If it cracks whilst hot, the halogen will escape and the filament
will more quickly evaporate and condense on the inside of the tube.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I thought the 'pinch seal' was the little bobble in the middle where they
seal it off after gas filling, rather than the end seals?

Scrim